Tuesday, June 30, 2015

robin's nest



This robin built a nest on our bonfire wood pile rack this spring. It was low enough that I could see right into it, so I thought it might be cool to take a picture of it every day to track the progress of the babies....






two have hatched!





three have hatched!


all four have hatched! They are pretty ugly.








the fuzz is starting to become feathers








eyes are almost open




it's getting crowded in here!


'are you lookin' at me?'









     I love the little tufts on their heads! They look like old wizards!





after I took this picture, I realized that there were only 3 in the nest! Oh, no, I hope something didn't happen to one of them!


Nope! There it is! Out in the open!


It hopped it's way to the grapevines to take cover. You can see the little feet all the way off the ground.


I went away for about an hour after I took this, and when I came back they were all gone!!

Empty Nest

It took about 17 days from the time they hatched till they all left the nest. It was fun seeing the progress from day to day, it is just amazing how fast they grow! Now they are all flying around the yard catching their own worms!

6 comments:

Mom said...

quite amazing!

Susie said...

I did that with a nest that was made in my hanging plant on my patio. It was great to watch them grow and hot their progress. Great pics

Lyneen said...

What wonderful pictures... thanks for sharing!

Donna Pedini said...

Hi Lyneen, thanks for visiting my blog! How did you find me?

cindy manno said...

I loved these pics. The blue eggs are so vivid! And its so cute to see the little ones leave the nest!

CyndiaChristen said...

Lovely photos! I had a robin's nest right outside my studio window one year, and it was great fun to hear them and then watch them fly. I also had a robin that I saved from a fallen nest who grew up with me as his mom. I miss him still now that he's flown away.

You must have a lot of fun watching all the animals around your home!