Sunday, May 24, 2015

duck, duck, gooses


We occasionally get duck visitors on our pond. Well, they may come more often than we know about since we aren't able to watch the pond all the time! We recently had a pair of wood ducks and a female merganser. I was lucky to have been on the porch when they landed on the pond, and had my camera handy!





He was so photogenic, I think I took 30 pictures of just him!





Female merganser. We had one quite a few years ago that must have been nesting nearby because she brought her ducklings up for a swim. Maybe this one will too!

She's diving for food...

I don't know if that is a minnow or salamander, there are plenty of both!

She was diving for quite a while. Then she just swam around for awhile.







The Canada geese that were nesting on the island left, leaving the unhatched eggs. I think 2 of the 3 that were here were female and they kept chasing each other off the island, so I don't really know which one had laid the eggs. So we aren't going to have any goslings, darnit! But we are still getting a few geese every so often, anywhere from 2 to 6 at a time. Sometimes they are here for a few minutes, sometimes they hang around all day!



Coming in for a landing!


This is the most we've ever had at once. They chased each other around on the pond for a while, then calmed down.


When I took this picture, I thought "Really, how many more pictures of geese do I need?" I guess one more!


1 comment:

The other Donna said...

The pictures of the visiting ducks and geese are wonderful as are the birds from the front porch !
I really appreciate my lavender sachet even more after seeing all the different things that went it to it's creation.I have it hanging on my bedside lampshade.