Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Distillery Landscaping part 1: Hobbit Door

We wanted to get some of the landscaping done before we got too busy with the actual running of the business.
 I don't think I mentioned that we we were approved for our federal permit! Yea! Now we have to get our NY State license, but we need our certificate of occupancy before we can submit that application. The code officer came out last week and we passed our final inspection, so we should have the certificate in a week or so. He's letting us have up to 40 people in there!
So, anyway, we had a beautiful day, and it wasn't 90 degrees, so we decided to put in the door for our resident Hobbit.

We took the spool that the electric wire came on and screwed them together. Then we took some leftover floor boards from when we did the house and screwed those on, and Vince cut around those to make a circle.



I painted it blue and did some faux texture along the edge of the boards. Then I drew a hinge and traced and painted those on. After it was painted, we nailed a piece of flashing around the edge to help protect it, and cut some cedar shingles to form a roof and trim edge all around it. I didn't take any pictures of that, I get all wrapped up in doing these projects that I forget to document them sometimes!


Vince had cut out part of the bank right after Daryl got done with the septic system, so we had a place to start. Vince dug more out with a shovel and stone rake, then we set the door in there, and put a galvanized window well over the top so we could form a roof. Then Vince stacked stones up the sides to make it look more substantial.


We put a little walkway and some steps out front. I'll put some plants in there later in the year when it isn't so darn hot out and maybe we'll get some rain then!


This is what it looks from the other side of the driveway.


This is what it looks like from down by the pond. Pretty cool!! Vince says he would live there!


We wanted to make the whole experience of coming to the distillery just that, an experience. 
 I think we have a good start on that!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

When will Bilbo be back from his latest adventures so he can move in before Vince claims Squatters Rights.

Unknown said...

Jenny Weidensee So Cute! I almost can't stand it. Too bad it's too small for Vince.
Like · Reply · 1 · 12 hrs

Debbie Laudage You guys are amazing! Need to see this for myself!!!
Like · Reply · 5 hrs

Jamie Guarniere LOVE THIS!!!! Can't wait to come when you open!!
Like · Reply · 1 · 3 hrs

Karen Backert Hess I can see the newscasters all set up with cameras waiting for the hobbit to come out for his first interview....
Like · Reply · 1 · 1 hr

Pauline Foster Great, it will be a totally different experience coming to your distillery. Can't wait to see your additions.......
Like · Reply · 38 mins

Nancy McNeill Focardi I wish everyone would leave these comments on her blog... she never gets to see all these...

Unknown said...

So Cute! I almost can't stand it. We need to get a tall gray wizard hat and staff. for Vince. I'm so looking forward to visiting when the distillery is open.

Cousin Lynn said...

So, did I read that correctly? The Hobbits get to live in the hill with the septic system?

Wow, Donna and Vince! This is so amazing! People will come just to look at your fantasyland.

Donna Pedini said...

You guys are all too funny! This post has had more views than any other one so far!! Who knew Hobbits were so popular?
Karen- I can just picture the scene from 'Groundhog Day' where they are waiting to film the groundhog coming out of his hole, except that in our case we are waiting for a Hobbit, but really it will be Vince saying "I saw my shadow, so it will be 2 more months before we can sell some whiskey!"