Sunday, June 26, 2016

Distillery: part 9 Fe, Fi, Faux, Fun!


These pictures are out of the order of when I did the projects- I did these over the past weekend and it is just too cool that I couldn't wait to share them! (actually it was 2 weekends ago now, my internet access conked out while I was trying to do this post originally, aarrgghhh! so I gave up)



I knew I wanted to faux wood grain the interior doors right from the beginning. I've had the wood grain tool since I was a teenager, but never used it because I didn't know how. Enter the wonderful world of you-tube! I watched a few videos (only one was really helpful) and said "wow! That looks really easy!" And it was! 

You need a light colored basecoat of paint on the door, and a dark color paint to mix with the glazing liquid. These are all water based paints/mediums. I mixed 1 part glaze with 3 parts paint for the glazing coat. Glazing medium allows you to dilute the paint consistency without changing the value of the color.


You put a coat of  your glazing mix on the door with a roller, then drag the tool through it using a light rocking motion. I did the door in sections because the medium will dry too fast. It is a very fast process!


This is the door to the utility room on the distillery side. I thought it would be a good practice one. I am really happy with it!



This is the fire door between the tasting room and the distillery, we had to put it in due to code regulations.


After the glaze dries, you put a coat of tinted water base varnish on. I mixed the same dark brown paint with a satin finish polyurethane. What a difference for this ugly door! I can't do anything about the door handle, it is a special one that came with the door. I thought about spray painting it black, but it was a pain to install and I don't really want to take it off to paint it.



This is the entrance door to the tasting room.

I printed these hinge designs from the internet. We didn't want to spend a ton of money on fake hinges for six doors ( one needed them for both sides!), so I figured I could stencil them on.





Handy dandy stencil cutter.....it melts the stencil material to cut it.




Decide where you want a hinge...




Be a contortionist to get in the weird spots...no wonder my hips and shoulders hurt!




Finished door! I used this design on the utility, storage and bathroom doors. I'm going to use the other, more ornate one for the fire door and the 2 entrance doors. I've got to wait on those for a while, I have other things to finish so we can get our certificate of occupancy. Then I can go back and do more fun stuff.



 So far this has been one of the most fun projects that I have done. It gives a great effect without spending a ton of money, and it was a fairly fast process. 


1 comment:

John W. McNeill said...

Youtube is amazing to learn oddball techniques. The door looks amazing!